A lot of people wear them, that’s a fact. It’s not too surprising given the color choices and the embellishments. They can be beaded, have feathers and rhinestones applied and made to look very appealing. But if you examine them from a quality shoe standpoint, they don’t measure up. The foam, bend every direction flip flops don’t stand the test of shoe worthiness. Let’s look at a few reasons why.
Probably by the third wearing the toe piece is going to come dislodged from the base. That renders them unserviceable and useless. They can no longer be used for the purpose intended and certainly it isn’t an item you’d want your dog chewing on. It’s very easy to walk right over on them, so that your foot is hanging off the edge. A quality shoe should only bend at the point where your foot bends, near the ball of your foot. When a shoe bends elsewhere, it simply doesn’t provide the structure that your foot requires. There is not any arch support or cradle for the heel.
So as to not completely burst your summertime shoe bubble, here are some tips for selecting a supportive, lasting sandal that will allow your feet to breathe and your toes to wriggle in rapture at the feel of the sand and the breeze:
- A thong style sandal is ok, but opt for one in leather
- A sandal that is stitched will hold together better than one that is glued
- Feel the inside to make sure there are no rough spots that might irritate your feet
- Look for adjustability for a more customized and comfortable fit
- Make sure the sole is durable enough to walk in and offer protection
- A low heel is preferable for foot health and safety
- Cushioning is important for comfort
- Heel cup will help cradle your foot and prevent the shoe from sliding askew
Take this information with you if you need to and go ahead and shop. Look for those perfect sandals that will show off your feet and allow them to breathe a big sigh of relief.
Summertime is a fun time, but also a time to beware of foot dangers. If you suffer a mishap, call Dr. Vargas at (281)313-0090 in Sugar Land or (281)342-8700 in Richmond. He offers complete podiatric services including his Sports Medicine Clinic which is state of the art, designed to help an athlete recover as quickly as possible. Also for the ladies, laser treatment and cosmetic makeovers for toes that may have contracted a wee bit of the toenail fungus.