Are your legs and feet regularly sore and tired by the end of the day? If so, there’s a good chance that you may have weak ankles. Weak ankles are defined by instability of the feet and increased pressure under the feet. Because this lateral underneath portion of the feet is usually favored when weak ankles are present, it’s common for the feet and legs to feel extremely tired by the day’s end. If you’re active, regularly rolling the ankles may be another sign of a lack of strength in this area due to instability.
Fortunately, weak ankles are fairly simple to correct over time through exercise, stretching, and treatment. With that being said, here’s a look at some exercises and treatments your podiatrists in Sugarland, Texas, often recommend in order to strengthen the ankles:
- Calf raises: Ankles and the lower body can be strengthened via exercise. One of the easiest ones to perform is the calf raise. Calf raises can be done anywhere and simply consist of standing on your toes. Start with 10-15 reps and as you progress over time, consider holding weights to up the ante.
- Heel walking: Another simple exercise, this consists of lifting the front of your foot off of the ground so you’re just walking on your heel. Do this as you walk around the house or office. You may look a little unusual, but it’s very effective.
- Hopping and leaping: Hopping and leaping from side-to-side and forward-and-backward can help increase your lower body strength and improve proprioception, which is the awareness of where your ankles are located and how they are performing.
- Proper stretching: Speaking of proprioception, proper stretching of the ankle can also help with this. To stretch, just gently roll your ankles and perform other stretching postures that work the tendons.
- Orthotic devices: Ankle bands, braces, and other stabilizing devices are ideal treatments for weak ankles (not to mention for treating strains and sprains). Many orthotics encourage proper posture and also help strengthen the ankles.
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our Sugarland, TX, podiatry office would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
About The Vargas Foot and Ankle Specialists
The Vargas Foot and Ankle Specialists at Foot & Ankle Associates treat all medical and surgical foot pain and ankle pain conditions, including summer foot care tips. Licensed Sugarland, Texas, podiatrists can help bring you foot pain and ankle pain relief.
Our Sugarland, Texas (TX), podiatry office offers the most effective and state-of-the-art, quality podiatry care services with a smile to patients in our local community, including Houston, Texas, (TX) and Sugarland, Texas (TX).
Return to a pain-free life and get back to the things you love!